EdTech is the integration of both education and technology, hardware and software meant to enhance teacher-led learning in a classroom situation and to boost students’ educational output.
EdTech aims to improve learning using modern technologies giving rise to more personalized learning and reducing some burden of teaching on instructors. It puts the teacher in charge as a learning facilitator and teaches according to the curriculum.
With the growing rate of online tutelage or the learning-from-home system around the world today, many ed-tech platforms are further being developed to achieve a learning environment that is off the traditional classroom situation.
Checkout: 10 Top Virtual Reality Companies 2023
The outburst of the covid-19 pandemic facilitated the rise of a lot of EdTech companies. According to Fortune Business Insights, “the ed-tech and smart classroom market size were pegged at USD 88.82 billion in 2021. The market is estimated to rise from USD 101.64 billion in 2022 to USD 319.65 billion by 2029 at a 17.8% CAGR during the forecast period“.
Also Checkout: Top 10 Augmented Reality Companies
There are so many of EdTech companies in the educational market today which include different kinds of innovative technology and education to bring about the best learning experience for students.
Here are 12 Top EdTeach Companies transforming how we learn in 2023:
Although considered a startup, Coursera is one of the biggest household names in the EdTech market, founded in 2012 by Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller.
The company is located in California and has a total report of 82 million users registered and has been able to raise $313 million through nine funding rounds with a $7 billion valuation.
As an ed-tech platform, it offers universities core teaching and learning while providing students with some personal learning experience that doesn’t cost much. You can also learn free courses, especially for learning job-ready skills for free on Coursera.
An interesting thing about the company is that it provides learners with some in-demand skills, job-related skills, and others.
Coursera offers over 4000 courses all over the world and also provide on-demand video classes to learners through their mobile and web app. It offers courses like the science of well-being, machine learning, introduction to philosophy, and others.
Benefits of Coursera
- It has some free courses for students.
- It partners with educational institutions
- It has a relatively large catalog of courses
- The prices are affordable
- You can learn from anywhere.
- Beginner-level courses may require you as a learner to have a piece of prior knowledge of it.
- Degrees are very expensive. For example, a 2-4-year degree course cost $9,000 as a start-off price.
Udemy was founded in 2010 and has its headquarters in San Francisco, California. It is an online learning platform that helps students, government and companies gain the skills that they need to achieve their goals.
They offer education at an affordable rate with qualified instructors. These instructors varied and contribute much to the courses offered. Unlike others, Udemy identifies itself as a learning and teaching marketplace.
It has over 52 million users and currently has 130,000+ courses.
It gives users the privilege to create new courses. Some of their best courses are development course, Java programming masterclass for software developers, Java basic spring, and others
- They have lots of coding classes to choose from
- It is not expensive
- Allows you to learn at your own pace
- It doesn’t provide that big picture guidance
- The certificate sometimes may not have any validation to your professional life
- Not all courses can give you everything you want
Duolingo is an American EdTech company that develops language-learning applications. It offers users a lot of lessons that use listening exercises, multiple choice questions, flashcards, question drills, and others to enable users to learn new languages as fast as possible.
It has enmassed over 49.2 million users since it was launched in 2011. The company is headquartered in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, United State.
Duolingo has community features that help you connect with other people who are learning the same language as you.
It generally provides language certification and language learning through apps. You can learn new languages using the app as it has over 40 languages.
- It is easily accessible
- It is free
- You can easily learn different languages
- You can only learn some vocabulary and phrases
- It is more suitable for beginners than advanced learners
Cheggs was founded in 2005 and has its headquarters in Santa Clara, California. It is an American company that offers digital and physical textbooks for rent, online tutoring, and other student-provided services.
It is currently the leading student-first connected learning platform. The hub makes education more affordable and easily accessible with a vision to help learners save money, and time and becomes smarter in other to improve their educational investment.
Although based in California, the heart of its operation is in India where it has over 70,000 experts who are advanced in technology, math, science, and others.
Cheggs reduces the financial burden when it comes to textbooks because the online market, allows students to buy sell, and even rent books. Users can access free online tutoring through their website.
- A constant hour of homework help is available
- It is affordable
- It has a free trial
- Customer support should be improved
- There are frequently suspended accounts.
Newslea was founded by Matthew Gross in 2013 and has its headquarters in New York. It uses digital content to enhance reading skills and learning, 3 years ago, it raised over $50 million in series C from Technology crossover ventures (TVC).
The company also rewrites news, historical speeches, articles, and others for students at various reading levels so they understand the content much easier. It has raised a total funding amount of $172.2 million.
- It is connected to a google classroom
- It has different reading levels
- Access to technological devices
Byju’s was launched in 2011, it is located in Bangalore India. The app has a total of $50 million users and it is enjoying growth. The company offers online video lessons for students from grade LKG to 12th via web app or mobile app.
These video lessons come with a game kind of representation that keeps learners engaged and make learning more exciting.
It is notable because it develops innovative concepts to make the learning experience better for students.
- It is very convenient
- It is not expensive
- It is a regulated learning
- Gives room for individual attention
- It focuses more on pre-recorded lessons
- The tablet can’t be used for any other purpose
Knewton is one of the leading EdTech companies that partners with pioneering learning companies, content providers, publishers, and educational institutions among others.
The company provides a means where it leverages developed technologies and data science to improve the educational experience for learners using the Knewton-enhanced learning materials.
- Great for innovative ideas
- It is adaptive
- It has growing content on technology
- It undermines knowledge
- It is mastery-based rather than problem-based
Outschool is American-based online learning founded in 2015 and has its headquarters in San Francisco. It has raised total funding of $240. 2 million. It offers an online class for kids between the age of 3-18 years.
They have their classes in a very smaller group via live video chat where learners connect with not just the teachers but their fellow learners.
The notable classes are stock market and investing, coding, gaming, photography, and writing among others.
- It offers virtually any course
- It has good customers review
- It is easy to use
- It sometimes has a scheduling problem
- Though they’ve good teachers, the customer service is poor
Udacity is American online marketing founded in 2011 and has its headquarters in Emeryville, California. Udemy offers online courses for learners. These courses are highly interactive.
It aims at bringing engaging and accessible education at an inexpensive rate too. It offers varieties of courses that suit both students and job seekers.
Some of the courses Udacity offers incle introduction to computer science, intro to statistics, coding, and more. Its total funding amount is $235 million.
- It is easy to enroll in career courses
- You can audit your course for free
- It also offers free classes with transcriptions
- Course quality can be different
- Sometimes users maybe feel excluded
- It offers limited courses
10. Dreambox learning:
Dreambox was founded in 2006 and has its headquarters in Bellevue, Washington, US.
It is more than online learning which offers basic mathematics education through an intelligent adaptive learning platform.
As a self-paced program, it engages learners in activities to learn and practice new skills. It is available for both iPad platforms and web base. It also tracks students learning process.
The cost of learning for learners is $20 per year for each learner. Its total funding is $175.6 million.
- It focuses more on concepts rather than procedures
- The learners of K-2 may require support with the interface and games in the beginning at least
Blackboard has different kinds of products and services that serve higher institutions of learning, k-12, government, and business. They make educational institutions successful through their services such as LMS, marketing and enrolling, and others.
The was founded in 1997 and is headquartered in Washington D.C.
Their products and services are mostly used by people in the government and businesses to provide skill training.
Blackboard helps K-12 earners to stay connected to teaching and learning. The company has total funding of $462.3 million.
- It provides the content to students in a central location
- Communicate quickly with students
- It provides grades in electronic formats for students
- It seems hard to navigate at first as the options for customization for teachers are limited
Skillshare was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in New York. It is a platform with an interactive learning experience. It offers over 41,000+ courses and has 8 million courses.
It is one of the notable online classes that centers on creative, professional, and entrepreneur classes.
Skillshare is aimed at those who want to help develop or acquire new skills or to become professionals in the area of the circle they already are. It is more creative than buying a handful of courses to fill your library like Udemy.
- It is affordable
- It has a free trial option
- It has a highly engaged community
- It offers thousands of classes like design, photography, video, freelancing, and more
- There is no quality of control for instructors
- Some learning courses are not easily accessible
- Poor video quality
- Some Ads can be annoying
I’m a Technology Stock Analyst, with focus on companies developing cutting-edge techs. Keeping track of cutting-edge techs, companies and stocks is what I do almost everyday. And I love it. Whether it’s artificial intelligence, 5g, or autonomous vehicles; I’m all in.